Chili Cheese Smothered Cauli Tots
Adapted from Your Lighter Side’s Chili Cheese Tots.
I don’t think I can say much about this meal, only because it was pretty much too good to even describe. The cauli tots and chili cheese sauce are both great on their own, and the chili cheese sauce would even work really well on pasta too. But, put them together and it’s like a party in your mouth. Yum!
The end result yields about 40 tots. I ate 5 smothered tots, plus a side of green beans and was totally stuffed. This can be a really filling meal!
16 oz cauliflower – I used frozen, but I think one head of fresh cauliflower might work too.
1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
seasoning of choice
1lb ground beef
10 oz of cheddar cheese (more or less, depending on taste)
1 cup milk or cream
2 tablespoons ghee, butter, or oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder (or you can use paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper, etc.)
- Cook the cauliflower, allow it to cool, then process it in a food processor until it’s as smooth as you can get it.
- Mix the almond flour and seasoning. I used a large plate to do this.
- Form cauliflower into 1-2″ balls. Roll each cauli ball in the flour mixture, then flatten out two of the ends to make them look like tater tots. Some of mine fell apart when I was rolling them, so all I did was add some almond flour to it and roll again.
- Place the cauli tots on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Once all tots have been formed, freeze them for about 30 minutes to ensure they hold their shape.
- After the 30 minutes is up, bake on parchment paper at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Flip them over, then bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the tots are baking, brown the meat. Once cooked, add the cheese, milk, garlic, black pepper, mustard, and onion. Stir continuously until the cheese is melted. if the sauce isn’t thick enough, you can add flour or a starch to thicken it.
- Once the tots are done, top with the chili cheese sauce.
I’ve teamed up with some other food bloggers to compile a great collection of recipes that use cheese. Check them out on the linky below!
More from my site