Brussels Sprout And Pork Belly Salad
Brussels sprouts are strange to me, and if they’re not cooked exactly right, they can get bitter. But, there’s a way to make them taste good! This salad would work as a main dish or side dish, and is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
1 lb pork belly
1 lb brussels sprouts
3 large cloves of garlic
¼ cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons bacon fat, butter, ghee, or coconut oil
optional – 1 onion, 3 tablespoons crumbled goat or blue cheese, handful of dried cranberries, 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, and/or ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (Any of these would add some nice flavor to the dish)
- Clean the brussels sprouts and chop them, along with the apple and garlic, into small pieces. Set aside.
- Slice the pork belly into small squares or strips, then cook on the stove with 1 tablespoon of cooking fat.
- Once the pork is almost cooked through (should take a few minutes, but time will depend on how small your pieces are), add in the brussels sprouts, garlic, 1 tablespoon of cooking fat and any of the optional ingredients you want.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts are cooked through.
- Add in the apple and walnut and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Check out some of these other Thanksgiving dishes!