Twice Baked Cauliflower Pie
I saw this recipe on Pinterest for Ground Beef and Twice-Baked Potato Pie. I thought it looked amazing, but of course it had several ingredients in it that I’m allergic to. So, here’s my version, which is equally, if not more, amazing ;)
2 medium-sized heads of cauliflower, chopped
8-10 cloves of garlic (depending on taste), peeled
2 tablespoons ghee or butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs ground beef
2 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water, mixed and rested
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
8 oz cheddar cheese – sliced or shredded
1 stalk of green onion, chopped
3 slices of cooked bacon, chopped
optional – 1 tomato, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the chopped cauliflower and garlic gloves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is baking, mix all of the meat crust ingredients in a large bowl.
- Dump the meat mixture into a large pie plate, and move the meat around to shape it like a crust (make sure you push down in the center and up around the sides). Bake for about 15 minutes, or until slightly underdone.
- Once the cauliflower and garlic are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a minute.
- Put all of the cauliflower puree ingredients together into a blender, and blend until smooth. You can do this in two batches.
- Once the meat crust has reached slightly underdone, remove it from the oven, but leave the oven on.
- Top the meat crust with the cauliflower puree, the cheese, the bacon, then the green onion.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. You can broil it too if you want to brown the top a little bit.
Weekly challenge to push the creativity of food bloggers. Create an original recipe each week to accomodate the weeks ingredient. If you are a blogger that is interested in linking up your themed recipe, please join the Facebook group to learn how.