Boy do I miss potatoes. I used to make loaded baked potatoes frequently. They were so filling that it would be our main dish for dinner. Since I can't eat potatoes anymore, I wanted to come up with a recipe that reminded me those potatoes, and I think I did! These loaded baked avocados have the same flavor and texture as baked potatoes, but are more healthy (healthy fats are good for you!) and packed with tons of nutrients. They're also super filling, which serves as a nice bonus! You can have them as a main dish, or bring them to parties and serve them as appetizers.
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
10 slices of cooked nitrate-free bacon
1/2 cup shredded raw mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded raw cheddar cheese
10 slices of raw colby cheese
1 "stalk" of green onion (about 2 tablespoons cut up)
6oz goats milk yogurt (Sour cream or plain coconut yogurt would work as well.)
- Mix all of the seasonings/spices and let it sit for a minute.
- Cut open your avocado so that you they are in halves. Take out the pits, but leave the skin on.
- Use a knife to make criss cross lines in each avocado half. Then put seasoning on each one. Don't be afraid to use a lot. The flavors will sink into the avocado as it cooks, making them taste delicious!
- Cut up the bacon slices and put some on each avocado. You can even put some in the little hole where the pit was.
- Put the shredded cheeses on next. Then cover each avocado with two slices of colby.
- Bake at 375, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Broil on high for a few minutes, until melted and slightly browned.
- Let them rest out of the oven for a minute, then top with the goat yogurt and green onion slices.
My family is not normally a fan of avocado, but everyone loved this dish. My son kept saying "Mmm pizza." I guess to him it looked a little bit like pizza!